Coming across the Piscataqua River Bridge from New Hampshire into Maine, you can take the super fast highway to get where you’re going, or journey where there’s a slighty slower pace along Rte. 1. Once you’re past the Kittery Outlet stores you are just a few short side trips to some of the nicest beaches and cutest towns along the New England coast.
People have been vacationing along this stretch of coastline for a very long time in places like Old Orchard Beach, York, Wells, Ogunquit, Kennebunk and Kennebunk Port. Spend a day or two in the slow lane. Maine – The Way Life Should Be – proclaims the road sign on the Maine Turnpike – and we mean it.
Try these beautiful South Coast beaches:
Long Sands Beach – York
- Take Turnpike to York Exit and take Rt.1 South to Rt 1A. Long Sand Beach.
- Get off Turnpike in Wells. Follow Rt 9 to Rt 1 south. Follow signs to beach. Wide sand beach.
- Get off Turnpike in Wells. Follow Rt 9 to Rt 1 south. or get off York exit and follow Rt 1 North. White sand beach and community.
Ferry Beach State Park – Saco
- Go to Old Orchard and head south on Rt.9. White Sand Beach on southern end of OOB near Camp Ellis Breakwater.
Old Orchard Beach
- Maine Turnpike to Exit 5 (Saco). Follow Rt 5 to Beach. Arcades, Rides, tee shirt shops, Food, bars, boardwalk, Motels, Hotels, Cottages etc.. Lots of parking. Close to Funtown/Splashtown, USA – rolercoaster, rides and waterslides – Rt 1,Saco .
- Route 1 to Pine Point Rd. in Scarborough. Follow to beach. Limited parking and facilities. Rock breakwater and long sand beach. Pine Point is the Northern End of Old Orchard. Good fishing near breakwater.
Ferry Beach – Scarborough
- Route 1 to Oak Hill. Take Rt 207/ Black Point Rd. Go past Scarborough Beach to Ferry Rd on right. Boat launch on Scarborough River mudflats near river mouth. Sand Dunes and Sandy beavh wraps around point. Views of Prouts Neck to North. Views of Pine Point, Old Orchard to South across river. Good Fishing. Facilities and showers.
Scarborough Beach State Park
- Route 1 to Oak Hill. Take Rt 207/ Black Point Rd. Nice Long Sand Beach. Popular locals hangout and hardbody beach. Outhouses. Views of Prouts Neck to the South.
- Located off Route 77 ( Spurwink Rd) in Scarborough. Flat sand beach with Rocky Coast on Southern End. Spurwink River on Northen End. Best local surf and good fishing. Limited facilities. Limited parking 2 blocks from the beach.
Crescent Beach State Park
- Located on Route 77 in Cape Elizabeth. Sand beach with Rocky Coast on Southern End. Kettle Cove to the North. Views of Richmond Island. A Good family beach with snack bar, bathhouse and facilities.
- Located off Route 77 in Cape Elizabeth. Rocky Fishermans Cove on the northern end of Crescent Beach. Limited parking and Outhouses.
- From Portland, cross the Casco Bay Bridge – Follow Broadway North to Cottage Rd. Left on Pillisbury to Willow. Limited Parking and Facilties/Snackbar (when open). Small community beach in fishermans cove. North End has scenic walk along Southern Maine Community College near fort and Spring Point Light and Harbor Museum.
Singing Sands,South Beach – Long Island
- Take Casco Bay Lines, Commercial Street, Portland to Long Island. Cross the island to the ocean side. Sand Beach and Cove with small island protecting the cove.
Great Places to Visit where I sell Real Estate along the South Coast and Beaches:
If you’re looking at purchasing property in coastal areas of York and Cumberland Counties, give me a call. The Maine Real Estate Network has agents and offices throughout the area, so if you don’t see the town you are interested on one of my pages, give me a call anyway ,and I will refer the best agent to you for your area of interest.
David Roberts/Associate Broker
The Maine Real Estate Network
207-741-2006 or email me at email@example.com